36’’ Australian Pipeline Inspection, September 2014
36" Gas export line, inspected with full data collection, at very high gas velocities
36’’ Australian Pipeline Inspection
- 36’’ carbon steel pipeline
- 182 km
- Inspection in multiphase flow conditions
- High speeds: 5 - 8 m/s
- Offshore launch and onshore receive
- 24-44 mm wall thickness
- Inspection operation at 100 – 70 bar
- Key Integrity threat: internal corrosion
The ART Scan tool was selected for this inspection, since ART Scan does not need speed control and has the ability to measure to full wall thickness at speed.
- No HSE incidents
- Full inspection of the line with high accuracy data collection
- ART Scan functioned without any sensor loss from launch to receive
- No reduction in flow with speed ranging from 5,2 to 8,2 meters per second.
- The inspection pushed out 3 000 m3 liquid (this was a 5 km column in the line).
- Significant cost saving: full production was maintained during the ILI
- The next project was awarded by Woodside to Halfwave, which has since been completed